The Access segment consists of the JLG and Jerr-Dan business units. At JLG, we are committed to being the provider of choice worldwide for access equipment. The Company's diverse product portfolio includes leading brands such as JLG aerial work platforms and JLG SkyTrak and telescopic forklifts. For 30 years, Jerr-Dan has redefined the towing industry. Jerr-Dan tow trucks, whether it be wreckers or carriers, have a proven track record in vehicle recovery.
Oshkosh Access is a segment of Oshkosh Corporation, which is a Fortune 500, multi-billion dollar company. At Oshkosh Corporation we are dedicated to designing and building the world's toughest specialty trucks, truck bodies, and access equipment by working shoulder-to-shoulder with the people who use them.
Responsible for Electrical Engineering support to project(s), as allocated by the Chief Engineer. The position will be appropriately integrated to the Global Core Technology Design Control. Directing, and communicating high level engineering analysis of Customer requirements including design of new and modified systems ensuring our current products remain competitive as well as supporting New Product Development. Direct responsibility for project teams to ensure that new designs are in accordance with engineering standards and project scope to ensure that designs meet customer requirements, corporate objectives, are safe, and can be manufactured. Collaborative research of new technologies and processes associated with machine electronics and control systems. As a technical leader, the Sr. Principal Engineer will explore, research, and apply strategic technologies to our equipment. The role will also involve supplier liaison activities, supporting appropriate supplier selection, leading root cause analysis and support in critical problem resolutions and maintaining relationships with technical resources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supporting the Chief Engineer in the budgeting process to include recommending capital improvements and preparing justification data as required
- Plans and directs the technical aspects of the most highly complex research and development programs in collaboration with other Core Technology teams.
- Synthesizes and analyzes studies which required application of advanced knowledge in the electronics and control systems field.
- May provide project direction and technical counsel to lower level engineers
- Researches, studies, and proposes use of new technologies to be used in the development of new and improved products including planning and control of Technology Demonstrator programs.
- Provides input to the MGTP plan
- Perform job duties in an ethical, professional manner which is consistent with the Oshkosh Way. Conduct duties consistent with the Company’s mission statement, quality objectives, and defined policies and procedures
- Provide technical assistance for prototype, pilot, and production support
- Remain current with technologies within the E&E discipline and our current or adjacent product range
- Overseas travel is a requirement in order to interface with Customers, Suppliers and Internal business partners. It is estimated that travel will be between 25 – 50% of the time dependent on product development cycles and business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Electrical / Control systems related field
- 8-plus years related experience
- Has experience and knowledge of high voltage systems (400V)
- Is capable of developing electric and hybrid drive systems schematics
- Needs to investigate and develop new drive control systems options for MEWPS
- Strong verbal presentation and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of software development in the mobile machinery environment
- Experience with Access platform equipment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ideally has knowledge and understanding of EN280